A Charity Fund-Raising Adventure

Tuesday 11 November 2008

Navigation Trials!

Don’t get used to all these updates, it isn’t going to happen all the time, it’s just that I was stuck in a hotel last night and they only had the Liverpool game on the television, don’t get me wrong I am into football but watching Liverpool isn’t top of my list.

If anyone wants to think I am a Ewan wanabee, sorry! I’ve been doing this sort of thing for a long time, okay I have not done what he has achieved but sorry I have to work for a living.



This picture was taken at the Coast 2 Coast Rallye in 2002. The ford is North of Bowland Bridge in the Lake District. The event is a 2 day Navigational Trial that starts at Flamborough Head and ends at Roa Island near Barrow in Furness. The route takes in the North Yorkshire Moors, before an overnight stop in Hawes at the top of Wensleydale, then an early morning start to ride through the Lake District and including a very exciting run over Hardknot and Wrynose Passes.

The whole event is a bit like orienteering on a motorbike 4 mandatory checkpoints on each day, with a total of over 100 points to get to over the two days. I came 5th in 2002, and 3rd in 2004. Unfortunately due to lack of numbers it was cancelled in 2005, the organisers had less than 40 entries so decided it wasn’t worth putting in all the effort to mark out all the routes and checkpoints. A great shame as I used to really enjoy that event. If anything I think that part of my desire to complete this task is based on the enjoyment of discovering new and interesting routes.

I promise to give some info on the equipment I will be taking with me or riding in.

Personal: During the Colder times, shall we say I will be wearing various layers, from Puma Compression shirts, you see the Rugby Players and some Footballers in, through to good old M&S Thermals and then a cycling jersey on top. On top of which I will have my Hein Gericke, Tuareg suit. (which has a slight oddity, the Goretex weather proof layer is a detachable inner liner, so usually the outer jacket becomes totally sodden but I stay dry). I then have a Giants Industries, waterproof oversuit if things get really nasty.

The Boots: a trusty old pair of Gaerne Motocross style boots I’ve had them for over 5 years and they are just about broken in. Waterproof if you don’t go paddling in fords, like the above image.

The Helmet: someone once said to me you either have an Arai or a Shoei head, and that is so true, I wear an Arai TourCross (TX) it is so comfortable it is amazing. I can’t even get a Shoei to fit and a helmet fitting correctly is probably the most important piece of your gear.

Gloves: I have a selection but my favourites and the ones I wear the most, even in deep winter, with the heated grips set at maximum are my 661 Winter MX gloves, a set of thin MotoCross gloves with a neoprene inner layer, they are so flexible but still warm.

I reckon during the complete ride the boots will probably last, the suit also. However the gloves will need replacing but they are quite cheap. My fear is my Helmet. I have had it almost 5 years now and that is about as far as it goes but at £300+ a go it is not cheap.

Take care and as Mick says ‘I started off with nothing and have most if it left!’

No comments: