A Charity Fund-Raising Adventure

Friday 7 August 2009

Chapter 45A August 22nd – A Holding Post

I arrived back at the beginning of the week after a 10 day journey around the Scottish Mainland and a number of the islands. It was a very eventful time and will probably take me a number of weeks to complete all the relevant posts, So many great roads, major issues with traffic, a few idiots, a lot of great people, wonderful scenery when I could see it through the rain and some awful weather broken all too briefly with a couple of days of wonderful weather. (I'm going back to do some of these roads in good weather)

To give you a clue, although I had my tent with me I only actually used it for two nights, the rest of the time was guest houses, hotels and one night in a Youth Hostel Bunkhouse, sharing a room with 7 others.

I’ve also got to get my camera repaired and have some photos developed from the disposable cameras I had to buy for the last couple of days of my journey.

Before I get into completing all of the posts and put them up, I would like to mention a number of generous people.

The 3 ladies from my Dad’s golf club, Prenton Golf Club: Yep! he is still playing and is 89 in January. In his prime my father used to play off 2 and could hit the ball a prodigious length despite being relatively small in stature. It must be in the genes, as I used to have mid-single figure handicap when I was playing a lot and now my Son Adam, is on the verge of a single figure handicap, in fact his coach already views him as such and believes he will be a low- single figure handicap by this time next year.

Anne and Margeret Meikle

Mrs I Horan

My Dad’s golfing partner, Kenny Booth

On top of this I was very fortunate when I was going around Scotland a number of generous people made donations to add to the pot.

The landlord of the Stair Inn, in the village of Stair just outside Ayr. (Great place by the way)

The Post Mistress & Master of Post Office and Coffee shop at Port Bannatyne on the Isle of Bute (One of my all time favourite locations)

The owner and Post Mistress at the Clachan Filling Station on Kintyre

Charlie, one of the regulars at the Ferry Boat Inn in Ullapool

Chris, again from the above

Finally, I’m sorry I didn’t get his name but the father of 3 young children I met in the bar of the hotel I was staying in for work on Wednesday night, who also showed his generosity.

It all counts, thank you very much indeed all your generosity has been passed on.
With that I better get on with writing up my notes.

Take care and as Mick says ‘You don’t stop riding when you get old, when you have to sit down and write up your notes!

No comments: