A Charity Fund-Raising Adventure

Tuesday 12 May 2009

9th-10th of May, Yet More Maintenance!

I spent the weekend with the bike in bits, whilst I did some much needed work on her, I also had to check through my gear, the tent had to come out again and be dried and repacked properly, I straightened the bulk of my tent pegs, that have become bent over the weeks.

I even had to replace my beloved 661 gloves that finally fell apart, thankfully I was able to get a pair of replacement gloves in a local motorcycle stores, clearance bin for not a lot, a real bargain as they are Alpinestars at less than half price and even trying to get some more discount on them and the bike stand I bought, they weren’t playing so; sod it, no mention, however they are known in these parts for being ‘tight wads’.

One problem that had been increasing in its annoyance over the last couple of days, was the squeal from the front brakes, each time I came to a full stop there was this sound like fingernails being dragged down a blackboard.

So Saturday was spent with all the fairings and screen off ‘My Baby’ she was almost naked. Whilst I shouldn’t have need to take all these parts off, the speedo cable was almost certainly the original so getting it off was a bit tricky.

Whilst the front fork fairing were off I decided to rebuild the brake cylinders and whilst the pads and disc were okay, I cleaned them up, applied copperslip to the cylinders and the rear of the pads before re-installing and bleeding the brakes. I now have (hopefully) much quieter brakes and they certainly stop a lot better, so must have needed the overhaul.

Once again I adjusted the chain. I starting to get worried about this, the wear on the sprockets is minimal and the chain has plenty of adjustment left. What worries me is the fact that I’ve been told that a chain and sprocket should last anywhere between 15 and 20,000 miles if looked after really well. Well this set were fitted just before I bought her, when she had 20,000 miles plus and was meant to be the second set fitted. I have now got 21,000 out this set alone and more life yet.

After this I washed and polished her and did some work to fit some rubber pads to the pannier mountings, finally I checked and topped off the oil. Now I feel as if she is ready as she can be for the next stage. When I returen next time it will be a fairly major service, with Oil and filter changes, probably the chain and sprockets as I've mentioned. The Air Filter is K&N so will need a flushing our, I will also rebuild the rear brake cylinder to check that out as well.

Finally on this post I would like to mention some people that have been very generous lately with their donations. It is very difficult for me to list them all as it has been a case of some people coming up to me and pushing pound notes in my hand, for them I am eternally grateful and you will note I have taken that money and made an online donation of my own.

To the others:

Gwen and Matthew Needham – Camping Fees Old Cotmore Farm
Anonymous, the wonderful lady at the above campsite who forced £10 in my hand
The wonderful old couple in Kingsbridge – generous donation
My Father; John Cave
Nicky and Steve Lawrence my Dad’s neighbours in Birkenhead.
Stuart and Theresa Taylor – Beenhill Farm B&B and Campsite – camping fees
Anonymous again, friend of the above that where camping on the site who again forced £10 into my hand.

Finally, Finally as I was composing this I received another donation online from Paul and Cath Hunter of Hunter Communications, a Father and Daughter to be reckoned with, I haven’t known them for a great period of time but they are certainly two of my favourite people. Thank you!!
Take care and as Mick says ‘You don’t stop riding when you get old, you stop when you work on your bike!’

No comments: