A Charity Fund-Raising Adventure

Friday 1 May 2009

Three rides down to the West Country and soaked 3 times!!

Whether you believe in weather forecasts or not, they actually got this one absolutely spot on.

And yes I got soaked, a bit more than planned but maybe that was my fault for being over optimistic. I had looked at the forecast and it said there was going to be a band of rain coming in across Devon and Cornwall, however this would be clear by the time I got to Hayle. So when I left home it was nice and sunny and that lasted all the way down the A30 until I came down from the Blackdown Hills towards Honiton and the clouds started to build up and the first spots of rain started to hit the visor, okay it was very, very light but that was only a taste of what was to come.

But before that I ran out of fuel, within sight of the Solstice Services at Boscombe Down. Stupid me, had forgotten to turn the fuel switch back from ‘Reserve’ the last time I had refuelled, I had been amazed how far I was getting on one tank of fuel. Now I found out why I thought it was a good idea to buy that 2ltr fuel canister, and bracket. Okay it was all down hill to the services and only 2-300 hundred yards away, but I am certain I would have had a coronary by the time I had pushed a fully laden bike that far.

Back to the ride. It was starting to take on all the characteristics of Easter Monday, as the rain just got heavier, I stopped at the same café in a small service area just after Launceston and had the biggest Cheese and Bacon Burger I’ve tackled in a long time, it also meant I wouldn’t need to eat that evening, as I hid in the café out of the rain until after 5pm.

But I had to get going if I was going to find somewhere to stay tonight. Another refuel stop shortly afterwards, as soon as I left the café the engine started to die, a quick switch over and it caught thankfully as the visibility was really poor and I could imagine some fool grockle not paying attention, arguing with the kids in the back, piling into me as I slowed. (Grockle the not overly flattering term round these parts for a holidaymaker)

At the café I had bumped into a number of guys heading off for the Newquay Mini Riveria Run. Basically over the weekend original Minis from all over Europe, yes I saw 3 Belgian registered Minis making there way there as well. Anyway one of the guys who was only driving down from North Devon told me that once you get past Bodmin it will be fine. Bull**** the rain got harder and I got wetter and slower. Also the visibility got even worse as the cloud base got lower.

Then on cue, after coming down past Redruth I saw the sign for Hayle 6 miles and the sky seemed to a lot lighter and the rain stopped. Then the 4 mile sign came up and there was a hint of blue sky. I came down the hill to the big roundabout outside Hayle and the sun came out with a vengeance. I was feeling a tad damp and it was now 6.20 and the thought of searching out a campsite to try and pitch my tent on sodden ground didn’t appeal so okay I wimped out again and pulled into the service area off the roundabout and was very lucky to get a room at the Premier Inn. Now before you have a go at me, as I am writing this in the room my nose is running like a tap, so I am off to the pub next door for a couple of stiff whiskies before an early night.

See you in the morning.

Take care and as Mick says ‘You don’t stop riding when you get old, you stop when you get fed up getting bloody soaked’

No comments: