A Charity Fund-Raising Adventure

Friday 22 May 2009

21st of May – A quick race to a pre-booked campsite!

I embarked on a very, very eventful weekend just after 5.00pm on Thursday night, I had taken Friday off on holiday with the ambition of completing the Welsh Coastline at the very least and if everything went well I could get further and even spend some time with my Father who lives on the Wirral.

I had been preparing everything almost since I returned from the last leg and all I needed to do was pack a few final essentials, such as my wash bag and a meal I had cooked and put in the freezer, so after making and receiving my last phone calls at about 4.30pm I got my gear on to get under way, even then the mobile didn’t relent hence it was gone 5 by the time I got going.

Thankfully the weather was fine, dry and quite sunny. I was heading for Brynhyfryd Campsite outside Bridgend, I completed the run in just over 2 hrs with a small stop to ask directions. It is very much out of the way and small but has everything you need, despite being quite basic. This said having met the owners and had a quick chat about their plans and ambitions I am certain it will improve year on year.

The only failing of the site had nothing to with the owners, it was down to the weather which meant the ground was very wet and pitching the tent meant I did get quite wet. Given the time after a something quick to eat, the sun was soon going down and it was soon time for bed. At this time of year you can feel the temperature drop markedly once the sun disappears so I wasn’t going to sit round in the damp and the cold.

I had brought my laptop with me and a DVD so settled down to watch that. Luckily the battery lasts just long enough to reach the final credits.


Take care and as Mick says ‘You don’t stop riding when you get old, you stop when you get an early night!’

No comments: